26 January 2016

January 2016 Portfolio Update

Stock NameNo of SharesCurrent PriceCurrent Value
Keppel Corp1000$4.710 $4,710
Accordia Golf Trust9000$0.48$4,320
NeraTel5000$0.595$2,975
Total Value$12,005

This month I initiate a long position for Keppel Corporation in the first week for January. Their share price has been dropping tremendously since the oil price crisis triggered somewhere in the middle of last year. I had been looking out on Keppel Corp since last year and decided to go in at the price of $6.40 and $5.85 respectively. Initial thought that it won't be going any further down at the price of $6, but it keep on hitting all-time low at $4.64. Although, the price that I went in does not appear to be rosy at the moment as currently it is at a loss of 23.4%. I did not lose my sleep over the losses as I believe the price I went in is definitely not on the high side. There are people who vested around $9, $8 or even $7. You simply are unable to catch the bottom. You have to go in to test the water in order to find out. So the correct technique is to break your purchases into different tranches so that you won't miss the opportunity, should the price bounce back.

The market is in downtrend and most of the stocks that you are holding since 2011 is in the red zone. No one is being spared from the market. Unless, the stock that you are holding now is during the Global Financial Crisis in 2009. My overall portfolio is currently sitting at a loss of 20.88%. I am treating the current market sentiment as an opportunity for me to buy when the price is low, rather than being upset over why the price keep on dropping and tested new all-time low. How about you? How many percent paper loss is in your portfolio now? I believe most of the retail investors are sitting at a loss rather than a gain, unless you are a damn guru that bought in 2009 and kept it until now.

2 comments:

  1. I am a damn guru who bought in 2009 and kept until now.
    On top of that, have built up a warchest equivalent to what I had in 2009 and starting to buy again.
    Not difficult - just buy SPDR STI ETF and hold for its dividends (at least 3% and more if you bought low). However, I itchy hand started to stock pick individual stocks also (some did well and some not so good).
    However, beware such stock investing may be disrupted in future by FINTECH (new technologies that allow companies to get money by non-traditional methods like bank loans and IPO).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it take times to build up the warchest to invest and keep for long term. Having limited fund, we have to buy and sell to generate more incomes to build up the warchest in order to be like you one day.

    ReplyDelete